Summer Sweat Treat: Blueberry Pie
Right down the road from our house, we can go and pick fresh blueberries.
Last year I took Elias blueberry picking and he had a blast. This year my sweet Mother-in-law Sara picked fresh berries and when we went over to her house for Sunday lunch she had this amazing pie waiting for us. It was so delicious that I thought I would share her recipe. It is a simple recipe which is great because I am a big fan of quick and easy. Enjoy!
- 9-inch pie shell (either home-made or store-bought)—I’ll tell you below how to make it at home if you want to, but the pie is so easy to make if you buy the shell.
- 10-ounce jar blueberry jam or fruit spread
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 4 cups fresh blueberries, sorted, washed, and thoroughly drained
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (optional, I think it adds a lot)
- Make the pie crust as you would for any other pie and put it in the pan. OR get out your purchased pie shell. Crimp the edge if you want to. Prick the bottom enough so that air can vent through. Weight the bottom of the crust down with dried beans or rice (which, unfortunately, you will not then be able to use for eating). Put it in the oven at 450 for 10 minutes or until lightly browned around the edge. Take it out, let it cool, and pour out the beans or rice. It’s supposed to be completely cool before you do the rest, but I didn’t wait that long and nothing bad happened.
- In a microwaveable dish, combine blueberry jam and cinnamon. Microwave on high until the mixture liquefies, about 1 minute.
- Stir in fresh blueberries
- Spoon blueberry mixture into pie shell. Chill
- Top with whipped cream or ice cream before serving.